Monday, October 5, 2009

Truth

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free"...John 8:32

Today I received a call from my boss that upset me a lot. I won't get into the details, but the general tone was that "so and so thinks you are too hard on this person and wants you to be more diplomatic and encouraging, rather than negative and critical". I took this very hard because I have often been labeled as not a "people person". I have prayed about this frequently and intensely over the past few years, but even more so over that past few months and I feel that God has truly changed my spirit from being judgmental and angry (mostly out of fear of being hurt) to quiet and accepting. I know He has not finished, not even close, but I certainly feel that I have changed significantly in the past year. So to hear today that I have offended more than one person I work with and have come across as critical and judgmental, was a serious blow to my self-esteem.

So God sent me our daily devotional with our children and reminded me that it matters not what the world says of me, but what God knows about me. And I committed that I would hand this over to Him to allow him to continue his work in me.

1 John 3:1 says "Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called sons of God; therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew Him not." I think God is reminding us that we should not concern ourselves with the standards of the world, but only with His standards. I am a child of God, chosen by Him to receive His gift of grace. I do not doubt His ability to create in me a new person, a compassionate, caring, kind and generous spirit.

So tonight I taught my children and God taught me....do not concern yourself with what others may say or think, but concern yourself with what God thinks. Remember that he made you just the way you are for a specific purpose, His purpose, and you are perfected in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment