Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Split Personalities

November 4, 2009

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

I sometimes feel like I have a split personality...or maybe several personalities. There is Meridath the "corporate consultant", Meridath the "wife & mother", and a few more I am sure. I came to this realization about a year ago. I noticed that I would dress and prepare differently depending upon what I was doing and who I would be with. Now...I know, everyone dresses differently based on what they are doing, but sometimes you have to look at the motivation behind how you dress and what you wear. Also, how you act and speak when you are in one situation versus another. What is the motivation behind your dress, speech, and actions?

I have been challenged this year to not be a different person at work than I am at church or home....and boy is that a challenge! It is difficult to be "in" this world, but not "of" it. But that is exactly what God challenges us to do, and expects us to do. I have to think of who I really want to be and who I want people to see...if I am embarrassed or ashamed of how I am behaving in a certain situation, then I try to decide, am I the problem, or is the situation the problem? Sometimes I have found that I act or dress a certain way because I don't think the people I am with will accept the "real" me...so that is my problem. But sometimes, God shows me that if the people I am with would not like how I dress or act when I am at home or church, then maybe I should not be spending so much time with them.

The truth of the matter is that I have spent my entire life trying to fit in...and frequently failing. It has taken me 31 years to realize that the only one I need concern myself with pleasing is God, and if I behave and dress in a manner pleasing to Him, the rest will follow. That doesn't mean that I will always "fit in", I think God sometimes gives us that feeling of social discomfort as a warning. But I will always have a place in His kingdom, and that is the ONLY thing that matters.

Love, prayers & blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment