Friday, May 8, 2009

Start at the beginning...

5/8/09

Now is the time for change. I could start tomorrow, or Monday, or next week....but why not NOW. Let me start by saying that I started this blog for support and accountability and to maybe help someone else who feels the way I do. I haven't always been overweight, it started in high school and has progressed over the years. Until recently, it has been simply an inconvenience. Something that impacted my self-confidence, made it harder to buy clothes I liked, embarrassed me. Now it is a problem. It is effecting my health, and worse, my faith in God.

I believe that God can do anything...and I can do anything with God (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13). But somehow, I have never thought to ask for help in losing weight. Well..that's not entirely true, I never believed He could help me with this, or believed I deserved His help. My failure to have faith in God is far more disappointing than my failure to live a healthy life.

But yesterday I had an appointment with my doctor and came to the harsh realization that my weight is no longer just inconvenient. It could easily kill me, and my children deserve to grow up with a mother...and a healthy one at that. I am setting a bad example for them and they deserve to live long healthy lives, and I want to teach them how. But first, I need to learn myself.

So here it goes. My journey, one day at a time, one change at a time. I don't know if I will post numbers frequently as this is more about changing attitudes and lifestyle. But most importantly it is a journey in faith, faith that God can work with me and in me and change me for the better.

So today I start my journey. Here are the stats....
Starting weight 328 (yes, that is my actual weight...I feel I should be brutally honest)

Goals for this week (5/8-5/15/09):
-limit soda intake to 1 diet soda per day
-drink at least 8 glasses of water per day
-walk at least 3 days per week
-read my devotional/Bible every day
-eliminate fast food completely

Pray for me........

2 comments:

  1. Meridath, I am behind you all the way. Good for you -- I will be a cheerleader for you! The Bible says "Casting ALL your cares on Him, for He careth for you." This is something that you care about and feel strongly about, so I believe He will help you -- have faith -- I believe that you do. Love you and your family!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! i struggle w/ weight too (i think that is obvious) and I want to be around for my kids- our kids need us! my mom died WAY too young and I dont want that happening to either of us- so keep up the good work. It's hard work , otherwise it wouldnt be work, but it's WORTH it for all the health benefits you will see. I am already seeing some health benefits and my doc is pleased, so it does pay off. love ya, risha

    ReplyDelete